Manta Rays Swim Team Coach
Location: Williamsburg Community Pool
Do you love Summer Swim? Have a heart for mentoring kids? Are you a community builder? Williamsburg Community Pool is currently seeking coaches for the Manta Rays Swim Team. Swim coaches organize functions for the summer swim team including organization of practices, meet preparation, stroke and turn clinics, and social events. The meet season begins in late May and runs through late July. Swim coaches build a fun and welcoming environment for children with a focus on developing friendships, improving stroke fundamentals, and creating summer memories. We have approximately 100 swimmers from the ages of 5-18 participating each summer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Organizes, and attends practice sessions and swim meets
- Provides clear and concise communication to parents of swimmers regarding practices, meets, and all relevant swim team information
- Develops and executes all aspects of swim team training, including but not limited to swim mechanics, sportsmanship, and swim etiquette
- Attends and participates in the team’s coaches’ meeting
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of water rescue methods
- Knowledge of lifeguarding and first-aid practices and techniques
- Must have the ability to interact with swim team families courteously and firmly
- Ability and skill in carrying out water rescues
- Successful candidates will have had competitive swimming experience and coaching experience
- Experience lifeguarding
- Pool operation license
- First Responders certificate
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certificate
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of water rescue methods and the ability and skill to carry out water rescues.
- Knowledge of lifeguarding and first-aid practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of swimming pool operation, including sanitation, maintenance, and safety.
- Ability to deal courteously but firmly with pool patrons.
A successful candidate must have the ability to see the big picture, act with a proactive mindset, demonstrate attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to adapt communication to individuals of all backgrounds.
- What is your experience with competitive swim meets?
- What is your experience with developing and implementing swimming training programs/practice plans?
- What experience do you have in mentoring, coaching, and building community?
- Share one strength and one area of growth.
- Share about a coach or mentor who has positively influenced you.